We are a society of people who want an alternative to various items. We want everything made simple and easy because we are so busy and have very tight schedules. We as a society need to make better choices. We take for granted things that have been used for generations without question. We don't take the time to do any research because we don't think we need too.
Now let me ask you, what are toxins? What do they do? Toxins are chemicals and poisons placed in products and toiletries we use everyday. Chemicals like formaldehyde and dioxins are used to clean and sanitize our homes. They are disbursed in the air we breathe and absorbed into our skin. These chemicals and poisons weaken our immune system, which slows our bodies' ability to fight off germs. It takes longer for your body to fight off a cold.
Toxins are everywhere. We have become a world of "chemical soup" so to speak and we are inadvertently letting it happen. The reason why? - It's convenient to just grab it off the shelf without thinking.
- We are creatures of habit. We do what our parents have done before. "My mom uses whatever so I will too.
" - We accept and trust what is on the shelves of our local stores. We blindly think the products are safe. - We are under the assumption that the government is protecting us against these dangerous products, when in fact - they are not.
- We don't look for an alternative until either we are lucky enough to become informed prior to trouble or. maybe not so lucky, when it has already affected you or a family member through a worrisome disease process. The following is a summary of information from Kay Hizer, Director of "Healthy Choices", a non-profit organization comprised of doctors, nurses, environmental scientists and educators committed to teaching the public about the hazards of chemicals in our homes and how we can avoid or minimize the risks. 50% of all illness is due to poor indoor air quality (Source: 1989 State of Massachusetts Study) The top cancer causing products in the average home include the following: Johnson and Johnson Baby powder with Talc Crest Tartar Control Toothpaste V05 Hair Conditioner Clairol Nice N Easy Hair Color AJAX Cleanser Lysol Disinfectant (Source: The National Cancer Prevention Coalition) Liquid Dish Soap is the leading cause of poisonings in the home for children under the age of 6 (over 2.1 million accidental poisonings per year) (contains formaldehyde and ammonia in most brands) Of the chemicals found in personal care products: 884 are toxic 146 cause tumors 218 cause reproductive complications 314 cause biological mutation 376 cause skin and eye irritations (Source: United States House of Representatives report, 1989) Over the last 20-30 years, as more toxic chemicals have been introduced in greater amounts, the level of toxins stored in adipose tissues (fat cells) of our bodies has risen.
Bio-accumulation studies have shown that some toxins store in our bodies for life. Greater and greater amounts are being stored at younger ages. Diseases that used to occur later in life are now appearing at younger ages. Diseases that used to be rare are more frequent.
For Example: There has been a 28% increase in childhood cancer since the addition of pesticides into household products. (Source: National Cancer Institute) In one decade, there has been a 42% increase in asthma (29% for men; 82% for women-the higher rate for women is believed to be due to women's longer exposure times to household chemicals) (Source: Center for Disease Control) Due to the increase in toxic buildup in our bodies, including the toxic buildup of formaldehyde, dead bodies are not decomposing as fast as they used to. (Source: National Institutes of Health) There is an increased risk for leukemia in children where parents have used pesticides in the home or garden before the child's birth (Source: Journal of the National Cancer Institute) Over 150 chemicals found in the average home have been linked to allergies, birth defects, cancer and psychological abnormalities. (Source): Consumer Product Safety Commission They are caused by toxins and poisons absorbed through our skin. That's why they make the patch for so many different health issues. It works.
There are other times when we don't want it to work or we don't even know it's doing damage. Let me ask you? How do you feel after you clean the bathroom? Do you have to open a window? Do you have to leave the room until the smell clears out? Are you a little dizzy? If you knew there was an alternative, would you buy it? If that product saved you 30%-40% off retail, would you buy it? If you could help others, would you share the information?.
I, Angie Hembree, am a wife and mother of 2 children working at home helping others do the same. I've been working from home now for over 2 years teaching others about alternatives. It's a very empowering feeling. More information